FROM THE TRIBUNE
1. Justice Nirmal Yadav (Uttarakhand High Court): The CBI court in Chandigarh has adjourned the hearing to December 14 as Special Judge Darshan Singh is on leave. During the previous hearing of the Cash-at-judge’s door case, it was adjourned following the CBI’s submission that the prosecution sanction against Justice Yadav was awaited. The CBI had earlier sought permission from the Union Law Ministry and the President’s Secretariat for initiating prosecution against her.
2. Justice Soumitra Sen (Kolkata High Court): He has been held guilty by the inquiry committee of “misconduct” tantamount to “misbehaviour” warranting his removal as a judge by impeachment. The Rajya Sabha Secretary-General has asked him to file a reply to the inquiry report by December 9.
3. Chief Justice P.D. Dinakaran (Sikkim High Court): The Rajya Sabha Chairman has reconstituted the three-member inquiry committee with Justice Aftab Alam of the Supreme Court as its head. He replaces Justice V.S. Sirpurkar who had recused himself from hearing the case against the backdrop of questions raised on his neutrality.
4. Ghaziabad PF scam: As many as 26 judges are involved. Ashutosh Asthana, the key accused, died mysteriously in prison. The Supreme Court has refused to shift the case to Delhi.
5. Former CJIs: After former Union Law Minister Shanti Bhushan alleged that eight of 16 former Chief Justices of India were corrupt, his advocate son, Prashant Bhushan, filed another affidavit in the Supreme Court listing alleged instances of corruption against six of them – Justice Ranganath Misra, Justice K.N. Singh, Justice A.M. Ahmadi, Justice M.M. Punchi, Justice A.S. Anand and Justice Y.K. Sabharwal. Mr Prashant Bhushan is now facing a contempt case in the apex court.
- Update on the Contempt Case of Prashant Bhushan, Senior Advocate (indialawyers.wordpress.com)
- Willing to go to jail, won’t say sorry: Shanti Bhushan (indialawyers.wordpress.com)
- Eight of 16 CJIs were ‘corrupt’: Ex-law minister (topinews.com)
- Dinakaran case judge recuses himself from hearing (ibnlive.in.com)
- Eight chief justices were corrupt: Ex-law minister (indialawyers.wordpress.com)
- Bar chorus for court clean-up (indialawyers.wordpress.com)
- Eight of 16 CJIs were ‘corrupt’, says ex-law minister (topinews.com)
- Govt places Radia tapes before Supreme Court (ibnlive.in.com)
- Supreme Court seeks Centre’s stand on plea for preserving tapes (thehindu.com)
- Judicial Accountability Bill introduced in Lok Sabha (indialawyers.wordpress.com)